Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Lorenz Manifold

Math and I just did not get along when I was in school. I can no longer help Dear Daughter with her math because she is now in Algebra. So it’s really funny that I love to crochet mathematical pieces! I guess all knitting & crochet is mathematical, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the Hyperbolic crochet and the Lorenz Manifold.




Yeah, me too! I had no idea what it was, but it looked really cool. The original couple who crocheted it said it took them 85 hours of work. Well, so far, I estimate that I have put in about 20 hours. I skimmed the paper they wrote about it and stopped when I got to something that looked like a pattern. I began and failed, began again and failed again. Then I decided to do some internet searching about it. I found that the pattern actually began on page 22 and I had stopped at about page 10.

Needless to say that has been lots of “frogging” with this project (rip it, rip it).

I have found that I need to count the increases before beginning each round and use some kind of stitch marker to indicate where they will be for each individual round.

Remember that the first stitch for each round is 0, not 1, when creating the Lorenz.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home