Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Elementary Crochet Club

If I continue to bore you with these article, you might actually go read one of them.

This is the second article I found today about crochet. This one actually uses it in an elementary school, which really helps my cause. Again, the title of the post will take you to the full article.

This is about Madison Elementary in Arlington, Texas. Both boys and girls have joined a crochet club taught by Assistant Principal, Jana Singleton Martin.

What students say:

"I get bored sometimes, and thanks to my assistant principal, I finally got a hobby. One day I started to make a hat. I didn't have a pattern. Now I'm making a new one, a camouflage hat for my dad." -- Zachary Studt, 12

"I've been doing this since spring break, and I've made a blanket and two scarves. First I learned to hold the needle, then I learned to hold the yarn in my other hand. I like just sitting there, watching TV and crocheting." -- Lorena Taylor, 12

"It's, like, really fun. When I have nothing to do, I pull out my crochet and do that. When I'm mad, it relaxes me. I'm making a blanket for my baby sister. But there are so many things you can make." -- Terrance Tisdale, 11

"Right now I'm working on a blanket for my aunt's cat. I'm trying to teach my younger brother and sister, and they don't want to seem to listen." -- Gregory Hornsby, 12

This is wonderful to hear. These kids are being given a gift that they won't fully recognize for many years to come. It will be interesting to see how many of them still crochet in 5-10 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home